Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog coughs, hacks, not all the time. Many times she will

Customer Question
My dog coughs, hacks, not...
My dog coughs, hacks, not all the time. Many times she will cough up some food, about an 1/8th of a cup. What could that be?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/25/2011
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 6 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

How often does this happen?

Is it a deep, hacking, goose honking cough?

Does it happen more with activity or at rest?

How much does she weigh?

-
It is sporatic. The cough seems to come from her throat as if she is trying to get something up. It definately is a hacking. It happens mostly when she is active, but at times when she is at rest, like this morning aroung 5 AM. She weighs 8 pounds.
Fom what you describe, including the age, breed, and signs reported - namely the description of the cough, I would be most interesting in evaluating for a collapsing trachea (mild based on your signs)

TREATMENT: (MEDICAL VERSUS SURGICAL)

MEDICAL MANAGEMENT
The following steps are often helpful in long-term management of the tracheal collapse patient:

1) Cough suppressants are used. (torbutrol, hycodan, etc)

2) Corticosteroids such as prednisone can be used, but are best used on a short term basis due to side-effects potential.

SURGICAL MANAGEMENT/INTERVENTIONAL

If medical management does not produce satisfactory results, and the respiratory distress is still present, either a placement of a tracheal stent or surgical rings to widen the trachea should be considered. Surgical therapy of tracheal collapse requires a surgery specialist.

Usually surgery, or tracheal stent placement are not first line treatments, but if medical management fails, tracheal stent placement or surgery can be considered.

Of course, the best is to make sure (with x-rays) there is not another cause such as pneumonia which made the trachea worse - or meaning - had to work harder to breathe and collapse more.

This link may also help: CLICK HERE
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Is it possible that this could be kennel cough? Just what is kennel cough?
Kennel cough is a self-limiting viral infection that should last no more than 10-14 days.

Well this has been going on for months. Sometimes she is just fine for a week or two and they the problem comes back.
That would make kennel cough practically impossible then...

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
But if it is truly her trachea, is that consistent with her having periods of no problem.
Yes
I accidently pushed accept answer when I wanted to continue.
Yes - it is.
Can the trachea reposition it self? I'm sorry I sound like such a fool. But I want to be to fully understand this problem. I definately will take her to the vet.
It is not a bad position - just weak cartilage.

Please read this information: CLICK HERE

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist