Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had his teeth cleaned yesterday and he has diarrhea

Customer Question
and vomiting (foamy stuff) pretty...
My dog had his teeth cleaned yesterday and he has diarrhea and vomiting (foamy stuff) pretty much since last night. What can I do until I can get him to the vet tomorrow?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dave, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Did Jackson get sent home on any medication?

Is there anything out of the ordinary that he may have gotten into since getting home?

Thanks,

Dr. Dave

No he was not sent home with medication. He was extremely lethargic all night but was better this morning and no he did not get into anything at all but the runs continue and the foamy vomitting, but his nose is moist.

Thanks for your reply.

For now, you can try over the counter famotidine (Pepcid AC) at 0.5mg per pound of body weight, to try and settle the stomach. I would not offer any food or water, just let his stomach and digestive tract rest overnight, then get him into your veterinarian tomorrow morning. (If he does go about 6 hours without any vomiting, you can offer him a few ice cubes). If Jackson's condition worsens tonight, I would recommend trying to get him examined and treated tonight (ER clinic, or on-call veterinarian), so that he does not get dehydrated.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave

No water, he will definitely dehydrate with the amount of diarrhea, can I give him pedialyte?

The reason for not giving anything by mouth, is because of the vomiting. Even something as simple as water or Pedialyte can cause further vomiting, and worsening dehydration. Having said that, if he goes several hours without any vomiting, you can give a few ice cubes, or a small amount of water or Pedialyte. If the vomiting continues, though, don't give anything further by mouth. Again, if he gets worse through the night, I would not recommend waiting until morning to have him seen.

Let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian