Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

WHY DOES MY DOG SUDDENLY DRINK SO MUCH AND URINATE A LOT MORE

WHY DOES MY DOG SUDDENLY DRINK SO MUCH AND URINATE A LOT MORE ?

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Common causes for increased thirst and urination include diabetes, kidney disease, urinary tract infections, bladder stones, adrenal gland disease (Cushing's disease). The only way to find out is to have him examined by your veterinarian and have blood tests and a urine test run. Treatment can vary quite a bit for these different things, so the tests are needed to get a diagnosis, and to decide on treatment.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does he age have anything to do with any of those as our other dog is 9 and appears fine ? Also the other day we came home to find one of them had eaten the wood around the door !!!! Could this be connected ?

Thanks for your reply.

We commonly see problems like diabetes, kidney problems, and Cushing's disease in middle age to older dogs. Urinary tract infections and bladder stones can happen at any age. Eating things that shouldn't be eaten, can potentially cause the increase in thirst and urination. We see this sometimes with things that may be irritating to the digestive tract or salty things.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Dr. Dave