CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My puppy has worms that look like grains of rice in its poop

My puppy has worms that look like grains of rice in its poop and it comes out of her butt even though she is sleeping, resting, or not in the process of pooping. What should I do? I just found her about three days ago...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is she on flea prevention at this time?

-
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes; when first found at my front door; she had fleas; shampooed her with flea and tick (Sargents); then treated her w/flea and tick medication; consistent w/baths and flea treatment.... No fleas or ticks on her
My suspicion from you answer is that you may be talking about tapeworms.

The medication I like to use specifically for tapeworms is Drontal Plus. Usually 1 dose, then a second dose 2-3 weeks after the first dose...

This unfortunately is prescription and must be purchased from your veterinarian.

BUT - where are they coming from? There is no other way for a pet to get Dipylidium except from fleas.

We really need to make sure that your dog is on a good topical flea prevenative such as Advantage or Frontine and you vacuum and clean your house as best as possible, in case that is where the re-infection is coming from.

This link may also help: CLICK HERE

I hope this information helps - please let me know if you have other questions!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does feeding her puppy food from the can affect her condition?
No - it does not.