DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

how long does it take a old dog to die once symtoms occur

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrRalston replied 6 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Veterinarian and will help you right away!

It really depends on what is going on with her. Heart failure? Cancer? Liver disease? Kidney failure? Or maybe she has an endocrine disease like hypothyroidism or diabetes? Or addison's?

It unfortunately doesn't sound like she is doing well.

It is always hard to decide what is best for the pet. I think often pet parents, especially after the death of another pet, are concerned about waiting too long to make the decision. I think people fear often that they are being selfish about their decision.

I don't think that is the case. I think that it is VERY difficult decision to make. WE understand as Vets that it is the hardest thing for an owner to do. Consequently, it is also the hardest for us as well. Sometimes it is the best answer, and truthfully, only you can know for sure.

But I am sure that you know Maxie better than ANYONE, and you will know if it is time for her or not.

The decision to euthanize is based on these questions: Is she still happy to see everyone. Is she interacting with the family or would she rather be left alone. Can she get up? Can she urinate and defecate on her own, or is she soiling herself? Is she eating, and holding food down? Does she seem herself?

One thing is certain, that she will continue to feel worse as her time nears. Sometimes it is better to let them go before they feel worse.