Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My labrador retrievers head is changing shape. Its as though

Customer Question
My labrador retriever's head is...
My labrador retriever's head is changing shape. It's as though his brain has shifted backwards. Also, he has had 2 episodes where he acted very strange, very unhappy, just wanting to lay still. He still ate, but didn't want to move. Also wimpered and barked a bit, out of character. I worry the two are connected and that he is having a series of mini strokes. If so, is there a medication he can take that might mitigate there recurrence?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2011
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 6 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Do you think the front of the skull has muscle atrophy?

-
I don't know, it came on gradually and is symmetrical. It's sunken in behind a boney protruding triangular shape behind and between his eyes.
I worry here you are showing signs of muscle atrophy of the head, with the appearance of the skull then changing shape.

We can see this from immune mediated disease, myositis or other associated causes.

That would be the most likely from what you list above, the changing shape.
Relist: Answer quality.
What information can I offer you?
Relist: Answer quality.
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Here is some further information about the condition that your previous expert was referring to. This may give you some direction and information to have it pursued by your veterinarian.

masticatory myositis

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian