Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

can a puppy with parvo take seizures, or is it parvo it is

can a puppy with parvo take seizures, or is it parvo it is very sick , had it to vet, it wont eat , vomiting, loosing wt, it is on a antibiotic, amoxicillian, been , giving pedialite, but it just started taking seizures yesterday
Are you asking if a pet with parvo can have seizures?
or
Can a puppy tolerate having seizures when being treated for parvo?

Sorry, wasn't quite sure what answer you are looking for...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if a dog has possible parvo can that make it have a seizure , and what can we do to make the dog better , we had it to a vet its on a antibiotic, and we r giving pedialite vomiting has stopped , however it is now taking seizures
Okay.
Yes, absolutely, parvovirus can result in seizures.
Parvo causes very bad disturbances in the normal equilibrium of the body. It can result in hypoglycemia, severely low protein levels in the body, almost complete loss of the normal immune system. So, although the virus, itself, wouldn't necessary directly cause a seizure, it is the affect of parvovirus on the body systems that can result in seizures.

A pet with parvovirus needs to be on continued intravenous fluid support, sometimes receive transfusions like plasma, continued antibiotics and sugar supplementation, etc...

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how long can a puppy have parvo , cause its had it since tuesday , they think its parvo could it be something else
No idea why vets do this...

There are simple poop tests that can be performed to test for parvo. To be continuing therapy for several days and not do the test is bad.

In addition, Yes, there can be other problems. For example, concurrent infection with intestinal microscopic parasites like giardia and/or coccidia is exceedingly common.

A parvo test should be done.
A fecal test should be done.

A puppy can require treatment for parvo for as long as 7-10 days before being stable enough to be treated at home.

I hope that extra response is helpful.