Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10 lb Japanese Chin ate 1 Hostess chocolate cupcake. She

My 10 lb Japanese Chin...
My 10 lb Japanese Chin ate 1 Hostess chocolate cupcake. She is almost 12 yrs old. Would this be as toxic as pure chocolate or chocolate candy?
6/11/2011
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

How long ago was it ingested?
About 1 to 1 1/2 hours ago.
If it was ingested that long ago it is too late to induce vomiting. The cupcakes do contain cocoa, which is the most toxic form of chocolate. It is not possible to calculate the amount found in each cupcake. 0.1 ounces is enough to cause vomiting and diarrhea. There is not likely that much in 1 cupcake as it is not the first ingredient in the recipe. Seizures and tremors would be the bigger concern. If anything like that occurs, the dog should be examined today. Vomiting and diarrhea would occur before the more serious signs of toxicity.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian