Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Springer Spaniel, Arnie has a large lump on the side of

neck (about half the size...
My Springer Spaniel, Arnie has a large lump on the side of neck (about half the size of a golf ball). We cuddle and fuss Arnie all the time but only felt it today when he was getting into the car.

Arnie will be 3 next month, and he is the world to us. We have Arnie's mother and three of his sisters and watched them all being born! We are terrified and would be grateful for any help you can give to us.

Yours Truly,

Rita Kibble
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2011
DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Hi--thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

Is this lump freely movable or does it seem attached to anything deeper?

Is it soft or firm?
The lump is movable and doesn't feel like it is attached anything but it does feel firm
Thank you for the additional information! The most likely reason for a rapidly appearing lump like this is an abscess. This could be caused from a bite, scratch, anything that injured the skin--in most cases we only see the injury once the area has been shaved as the area has healed over already. Warm compressing the area may help the abscess to drain, but if it doesn't, your vet may have to lance the abscess (in some cases a temporary drain is placed in the area to help promote healing). Antibiotics will likely be needed as well.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
DrChristineM
DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian