Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10 pound dog ate one Lovastatin 40 mg tablet. Is there

My 10 pound dog ate one Lovastatin 40 mg tablet. Is there any danger of him being hurt?
Hello. Thanks for writing in.

How long ago did he ingest this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
approx. 35 minutes ago.
Thanks for the information. I want you to give him 1 tablespoon (15mls) of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. At this stage, you should be able to get the drug out of his stomach. It may take 10 minutes for vomiting to occur. Part of the studies on this drug were with dogs. I am trying to find that information for you. Go ahead and make him vomit now, though.
Any vomiting yet? If not, you can repeat that peroxide dose once. I don't think you will see many issues from this ingestion. During part of the clinical studies for this drug, it was given at 90mg per pound (that would be 900mg for him) for 1/2 to a full year. Cataracts where the only abnormality noted (that I can find in the study - it was very long). After inducing vomiting, I would watch him for any constipation, severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dark urine; muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness (with or without fever or fatigue); pale stools; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe stomach pain; yellowing of the skin or eyes. This information is from drugs.com and is extrapolated from human side effects. If any of this is see, have your vet evaluate him immediately. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.