I have a 13 year old St Bernard...last night, she was caughing up extremely think mucus looking stuff, breathing heavily

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 13 year old St Bernard...last night, she was caughing up extremely think white mucus looking stuff, breathing heavily and her breaths sounded raspy, like a smoker. She was barking the same time she was throwing up the mucus like that was the easiest way to catch her breath. Wondering what it might be and if I need to keep my 2 smaller dogs away from her until I can get her to a vet.
Answered by Dr Anne in 11 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Dr Anne
6+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr Anne :

Hi, Dog owner! I am worried about your st bernard. Is she still acting sick? Is she acting sick in any ways other than the cough?

Dr Anne :

Coughing is sometimes a minor problem, an infection like kennel cough, or minor irritation, but at her age it's also possible that this is a more serious problem, such as heart disease or even cancer. These serious diseases of age are not usually transmissible to other dogs, but she should be kept away from anything that could stress her out or make her feel pressure to behave normally while she is sick. We cant really know how serious it is without a vet exam, possible tests.

Dr Anne :

So, I do recommend you keep her away from the other dogs. But I also recommend you get her to a vet as soon as possible!

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

It started about 2 am this morning and she was sleeping when I left for work at 7 a.m. it is really thick mucus that is long when it comes out of her mouth, but some of it just puddles and stays that way almost like glue, but looks mucusy. Her paws were soaking wet when I went out at 2 this morning so assumed she was wet from the flemmy stuff. A call to my vet this morning thought she had worms....She hasn't been wormed in a while, but my other 2 smaller dogs have been and one of the 2 smaller is a puppy so concerend about her.

With that much phlegm, I'm concerned for her, regardless of the cause. Of course, St Bernards slobber a lot, anyway, so it could be normal for you. 14 year old dogs don't usually have problems with worms, but they can, especially if they're otherwise ill. Pneumonia also can cause the kind of phlegm you describe. With breathing system you don't want to take chances! I will be worried for her until you get her to a vet. And, yes, keep her isolated form the other dogs!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr Anne
logo
logo
logo
6+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr Anne
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.