Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is loosing clumps of hair along with her normal shedding,

Customer Question
why?...
My dog is loosing clumps of hair along with her normal shedding, why?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/17/2011
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Is her coat getting too thin in any area?

Is she itching or does she have any lesions on her skin?

Do you brush her regularly or take her to be groomed?

Are there any other changes with her (eating/drinking/elimination behavior)?

Thanks and I will respond when you reply.

I notice it is thinning on her "thighs". I do not notice her itching and she doesn't have any lesions. I brush her regularly and tons of hair comes out, like 4 full brushes to clean. She has a sensitive stomach, throws up if she eats anything odd. She has been on a lamb diet for several months. She was on antibiotics 2 months ago for lymes disease, she finished her antibotics completely.

Sometimes, especially if they are not brushed regularly, they can have a normal shed of their undercoat that seems to come out in clumps. That doesn't sound like the case for her if you are the diligent in brushing her.

If her hair is starting to thin out, it would be a good idea to have her examined. There are various disorders that can lead to hair loss including hormonal problems that involve the thyroid or adrenal gland, parasite problems, fungal problems (like ringworm) or even skin infections or allergies. After a thorough physical exam, your vet will have a better idea of what else if anything needs to be considered as a possible rule out or if this could possibly be normal for her. It sounds like it is not a nutritional problem as she is on a good diet. Sometimes supplements like a fish oil may help, but I would at least have the exam first before introducing any oral supplement, especially since she seems to have a sensitive stomach.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian