Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

My dog took a temazepam sleeping pill what should i do

My dog took a temazepam sleeping pill what should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Dr. Deb :

How much does Butter weigh, and how many milligrams was teh temazepam tablet, and when did she ingest it?

Customer:

when i took her to the vet 2 months ago she was 7 lbs. I'm not sure sure 15-30mg. I don;t remember the dosage.

Customer:

Right now she is lying down. I think she's getting sleepy. It's been about 30 minutes since she ate it.

Dr. Deb :

You can induce vomiting by giving her 1/2 of a teaspoon or hydrogen peroxide orally. If she doesn't vomit. You can repeat this up to 3 times, but keeping the doses 15 min apart. I'm still checking on a toxic dose for her weight.

Customer:

Thank you. Right now she walking around I think she's ok, but I'm trying the peroxide to be safe. I too am concerned about the toxicity. As long as it won't harm her or kill her. As soon as you have to toxic dose then I'll push the accept.

Dr. Deb :

Still working on it - not a lot of info in general on this particular drug. It is a benzodiazepine, and dogs handle these pretty well, but she is so small, I'd really like to be sure of the dose range.

Dr. Deb :

I can't find specific doses for dogs, but based on her weight, she certainly could experience sedation, and the severity would really depend on the actual dose. 15 mg vs. 30 mg could make quite a difference in the level of sedation. I would certainly get her to vomit, and if you can't, I would take here to your local ER, so they can be sure to get her to vomit. If she did get a full 30 mg, I would be much more concerned than the 15 mg.

Dr. Deb :

Even though it's been 30-40 minutes since ingestion... we can certainly prevent some absorption.

Customer:

I just checked with my husband because I'm at work and he says it was only 15mg. But she's not acting any different so I think she'll be ok.

Dr. Deb :

Sound good...

Dr. Deb :

She will likely be drowsy and sleep well tonight. Of course, if she seems too sedated... have her seen.

Dr. Deb :

Have a great night...

Customer:

Thank you.