Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

dog: to eat her new renal diet..taking pepcid..day and sucralfate

I'm having trouble getting my...
I'm having trouble getting my dog to eat her new renal diet. I think it's upsetting her stomach. She's taking pepcid twice a day and sucralfate prescribed by her vet. What can I do to keep her eating her prescribed diet?
5/11/2011
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Are you using canned or dry food?

Are you putting the meds in her food?

Why are you switching her to the renal diet? What is her disease?

Thanks and I will respond when you reply.

She's eating dry food and I give her the pepcid in cheese, the sucralfate is dissolved in water and administered via syringe.

She's has recently been diagnosed with kidney disease, chronic i believe.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

You could try to add some of the canned form of the kidney diet or add some warm water or broth to the dry food. Also warming it up will help to increase the smell and make it more enticing.

Check with your vet, but in most cases of kidney failure, add a little carbohydrate to it won't hurt and may help to entice her to eat better. This would be things like rice, pasta, potato, etc. You want to stay away from protein additions, but usually carbs are safe.

Also, if she is really not liking the Hills diet, you could see if the Purina prescription formula for kidney disease would be ok to try. In most cases, they can be used interchangeably and sometimes they like one more than the other.

Finally, one point to know. The sulcrafate works better in a acid stomach so I would give that first, wait about 30 min before the pepcid and then feed. I have not heard of these meds causing an upset stomach, but many dogs do not like the food well. Sometimes it can be difficult to know if they are not eating because they don't like it or they don't feel well. Work with your vet to see if you can find a combination she will eat. Nutrition is the most important and it is better for her to eat a little of the non-kidney diet if it means she will eat better versus having a poor appetite and not eating enough.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian