Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What can cause a dog to throw up a clear liquid and not eat?

Customer Question
What can cause a dog...

What can cause a dog to throw up clear slimy saliva-like fluid? He can drink but will not eat and his breathing is slow. What can be done for treatment?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/25/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:

1. Gastroenteritis
2. Dietary indiscretion
3. Foreign body obstruction
4. Pancreatitis
5. Organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. Parvo virus- if not vaccinated

This is what I would do for now:

1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid at 0.25 mg/lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day).
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days. If that does not help, then blood work and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes.

Since the dog is not eating, the only thing in his stomach is going to be foam/saliva. If it is more of a coughing/gagging motion, then I would suggest kennel cough at his age. It still sounds like he is nauseated. The lethargy may be because of a fever. You can check this by a rectal temp using a digital thermometer. Normal range is 100-102. A fever would be consist of anything above 103. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

What is kennel cough?

Kennel Cough is a mixed bacterial/ viral infection that causes inflammation of the trachea (windpipe). You can usually elicit a cough by rubbing the neck. The coughing leads to gagging which leads to vomiting saliva/ foam. You can often get some relief using Robitussin DM- 1 teaspoon 2-3 times daily. If it's not coughing but instead vomiting/retching, then I would go with the Pepcid and food/ water withdrawal period.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Donner just vomited yellow mucous what could this be?

That's bile- fluid from the stomach/ small intestine.
If the vomiting continues despite the Pepcid, then get him seen and get some x-rays to make sure he's not obstructed. If he's obstructed, then Pepcid won't touch his signs and he'll continue to vomit until he has surgery to remove an obstruction.

Thank you. This was helpful! I have Pepto Bismol, will that work?

That's more of a coating medication so it doesn't do much about the excessive acid in the stomach. If that's all you have though, then it's better than nothing. You can give 1 teaspoon of Pepto.

Okay. Thank you very much. Have a good evening.

You're very welcome.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian