Diesel, my 9 month 28 great dane x arab ran into me dislocating the hip on the opposite side of which she hit me. I had

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Diesel, my 9 month 28 kilo great dane x bull arab ran into me dislocating the hip on the opposite side of which she hit me. I had her at the vet within 24hrs, they xrayed and repositioned the hip and bandaged her leg. Ten days later the bandage was removed and the hip dislocated instantly, i have her booked in for toggle treatment, is this too late? The vet says if the toggle doesnt work a FHO is needed, but i feel she is too big for this treatment, is there an alternative or is this the best option for maximum life of the joint? Her operation is tomorrow morning 21-04-11.
Answered by LindaR in 56 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
LindaR
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

LindaR :

Hi. The toggle treatment is always worth a try, but I have seen a mixed rate of success. It is always best to try and keep the joint intact, especially in such a young dog. If this doesn't work, a FHO is an option. However, in a dog her age it would be worth investigating having a total hip replacement done.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

is she going to be too heavy for a fho?

if she is to get a total hip replacement what does it invlove

LindaR :

She shouldn't be. The scar tissue and large muscles surrounding the hip should be sufficient to keep the leg functioning fairly normally. I've seen this procedure done successfully in very heavy animals.

if diesel was to have a FHO and later on she gets problems is it possible for a total hip replacement?

LindaR :

A total hip replacement involves the replacement of both the ball and socket of the hip joint. These sections of bone are physically removed, and a new joint implanted. This results in a normally articulating hip joint with no risk of arthritis. The procedure can be performed in dogs over the age of 6 months, but is usually recommended once the animal has stopped growing at around 10 months. However, if the hip joint is dislocated, the procedure can be done earlier. It would be up to your vet to assess the circumstances, the dog etc before taking the decision.

LindaR :

As far as I'm aware, if she had a FHO she would not be a candidate for hip replacement later due to all the arthritic changes and scar tissue present after such a procedure. I've never heard of this being done, but the technology is changing all the time, so I would advise a chat with an orthopeadic specialist to be 100% sure on that.

thank you very much, your advice is appreciated.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
LindaR
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
LindaR
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.