Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is sneezing blood. I lthis normal Due to dry air

My dog is sneezing blood...
My dog is sneezing blood. I lthis normal? Due to dry air? ShouldI rush him to the vet??
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/6/2011
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

How long has this been going on.
Is the blood dripping or streaming out or just spraying all over when sneezing?

Dr. Dan
It's happened before, on rare occasion, andI thought it was his nail. It's been going on for a while because we've now found large droplets of blood and sprays of it all over the carpet, most of it dried. I thought I saw it dripping from his nose but he licked it and it went away. Then he sneezed again, and he sprayed blood all over my arm with a lot left pooled up around his nose.
Thanks for the information. Usually this is not a true emergency meaning it is not likely immediately life threatening. It is however quite annoying and some people will go to the vet right away because there is so much blood all over. It is very rare that dogs will bleed to death out of their nose unless it is streaming heavily.

Usually dry air just causes sneezing with clear discharge not with blood. The typical causes of bloody noses especially ones that have been present before are nasal cancer (unfortunately the most common), but infection, rat poison, and a foreign object breathed up in the nose. Since your dog won't let you near his nose then the only thing you can do won't work well (placing ice on the bridge of the nose). So you can either take him to the vet where they'll likely sedate him, stop the blood and xray him. Or you can wait it out and discuss it with your vet in the morning. Since this has already happened the bleeding will almost certainly return.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian