Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

our dog ate mulch/tree bark. will it hurt him it has blocked

our dog ate mulch/tree bark. will it hurt him? it has blocked his stomach. Is there a way to help him throw up on the mulch?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 6 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

HI there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

When did the dog eat the mulch? what symptoms are you seeing?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And When was this xrayed and diagnosed?

Customer:

we dumped some grease in the mulch, dog ate mulch last night, about 6 am started pacing, went on daily walk and has not had bm, took him to the vet, xrayed, showed blockaged, they gave us gas-x, pepto, something for gas-ritus, etc. he has throw up bark several times, just paces, under comfortable

Customer:

wish we could get him to throw it all up. ate bfast this morning - and threw it all up - hasn't eaten since.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- unfortunately, this may be a surgical issue -- Is the gas x hleping at all -- because the biggest concern is gas buildup

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Also -- when did he last throw up?

Customer:

about 30 minutes ago. it had some chips in it. he is laying down now - first time he has rested

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Great --

Customer:

surgery? yikes

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Do you know if the mulch had moved into the intestines? and will he eat ?

Customer:

he walks gingerly, he tries to keep up with other dog, find him staring into space and just seems so uncomfortable

Customer:

he won't eat food or treats. the intestines show gas (xrays). just scared

Customer:

he tries to lick up vomit

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- You can give mineral or olive oil to help lubricate the system -- about 1 tablespoon at first -- then a teaspoon after 12 hours --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Keep giving the gas x --

Customer:

how often on the gas x? mineral oil? I have some.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It iwll be hopefull that the mulch will move its way through the intestines -- but there are times when it will block the intestines and surgery is necessary. WHen this happens the intestines will bloat and can rupture - it is very painful -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It is good to keep your dog moving periodically -

Customer:

ok, how often on gas x? so every two hours walk him (if he sleeps), how will we know if surgery is needed? and how long should we wait?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

gax x every 6 hours --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

walking a little every 2 hours is good -- about 15 minutes --

Customer:

he is trying to dig and lay in bushes

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If his abdomen is painful if you gently but deeply massage it -= then gas may be buildiing up ==

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It is not uncommon to see a dog that has done this 2-3 times over a few days until this works its way out --- or results in a blockage and needs assistance.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If he is painful -- has pale gums -- seems tired -- then a vet visit is important --

Customer:

so monday is ok

Dr. BJ Hughes :

We will hope that he has vomited the most out -- but it is impossibel to tell --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Monday is fine for a follow- up IF he is not in pain or tired or pale --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

any of these would mean a vet visit ASAP

Customer:

just scared he is trying to lie down in bushes that seems odd so pain (he doesn't have pain now), tired (he seems lathargic), or pale (not sure what that would look like - brindle) - we should go to ER VET?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

(by paleness -- look at his gums -- in any area that is pink --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and see if it is pink -=- and if your press on it with a finger -- it should go white and then pink quickly --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If you are in any doubt -- a ER visit and simple single view of the intestine woudl be beneficial --

Customer:

ok

Dr. BJ Hughes :

often we may end up doing xrays several times over a few days to track the intestinal situation .

Customer:

anything else?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I think that is about it -- carefully monitoring him overnight is important == and I would try to keep in inside and watch any eliminations, eating, water consumption etc --

Customer:

ok he is drinking water and did urinate earlier

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is a good general check on his hydration --- so keep a close watch overnight -- and if you ohave any doubts -- then an ER visit for aphysical exam may be necessary to at least help assess any situation needing immediate care.

Customer:

ok thx

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good -- You are most welcome --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian