Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog is shaking and panting really hard, also he threw up

Customer Question
this morning and when ever...
my dog is shaking and panting really hard, also he threw up this morning and when ever i try to pick him up he cries
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2011
Dog Veterinarian: DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Wow, what kind of dog and how old please?
lhasa apso and almost 3yrs
Shaking and panting can be a sign of pain. That pain can result in nausea as well and lead to vomitting. Has there been any recent change in diet including table scraps or trash items?
DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
my parents fed him table scraps more then regular dog food
If that is the case, I would especially be concerned about pancreatic inflammation if the pain seems to be in the stomach area just behind the ribs. It is good idea to take him to your Veterinarian to be sure. They may want to perform x-rays or a simple blood test to rule out pancreatitis. If the pain is lower down in the abdomen in that breed I would consider urinary bladder stones. Any trouble urinating?
nope he urinates just fine. but he does have pain just below the ribs
That definitely sounds like something you should have checked by your Veterinarian. If it is a mild pancreatic flare up, your Vet may be able to give him some anti-nausea medicine to keep him from vomiting. Your pet should
also be on a low fat, easy to digest diet like chicken and rice (a half cup or so of each). A severe case of pancreatitis could require hospitalization with IV fluids, so it really is better to get him in while it is early. Also, they
may want to take a radiograph to be sure there isn't also a foreign object in the stomach. Good luck, please let me know how it goes.
Have I helped you? Do you have more questions?
DrRalston
DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian