Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog hasnt eaten in two days, and is throwing up clear yellow

Customer Question
my dog hasn't eaten in...
my dog hasn't eaten in two days, and is throwing up clear yellow mucus, she is drinking water, but is very sluggish. what can i do for her?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, thanks for your question about Spikey. Is she drinking any water? Has she been spayed? Has she been fully vaccinated?

Hi, yes she is drinking water. she was spayed when she was 6 mos old, and she is a house dog, never around other dogs. fully vacinated.

OK, thanks. Has there been any new food or treats given in the last few days? Any chance she got into the garbage?

no, but she may have chewed on some of the outside plants a few days ago, after my husband cut the grass in the back. that is where she goes to potty.

OK, thanks for the reply. DO you happen to know what kind of plants are outside?
no, not the names, just ground cover and grass, but my husband said he sprayed weed killer on some weeds on the top of a small slope, where spikey likes to walk. but it never made her sick before. could that be it?
OK, thanks for the reply. Weed killers generally aren't toxic, but they can cause significant stomach upset, and if severe enough, this may require veterinary care, so that fluids and anti-nausea medicines can be administered to help SPikey through the process. Hopefully there are no toxic plants there, such as Oleander, or Lily, but many plants can cause stomach upset even if they are not actually toxic plants. Again, symptomatic supportive care is often needed, especially when 2 days have passed with no sign of improvement. Once dehydration and electrolyte imbalances set in, which can happen quite quickly in a vomiting dog, it is difficult to get the dog through this without some veterinary care. Additionally, small dogs tend to develop hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which sometimes can be assisted by rubbing corn syrup or pancake syrup ont he gums, but often requires an injection of Dextrose in order for proper blood sugar levels to be restored.

she is drinking water, and has urinated, and i can rub the syrup on her gums, but should I still take her to a vet or will she get better, just resting? she still follows me around the house, but is not her playful self. I am very short on money, but i will take her to a vet, if you think it is needed.

I wish I could predict the future, it would make my job a lot easier. Unfortunately, in this line of work, I have to make recommendations that I feel are in the pet's best interests, even if that means being extra cautious. Therefore, I would have to recommend at least having her examined, to have some peace of mind that the upcoming weekend is not going to put her in worse condition with less access to veterinary care.
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian