Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

What can I give my dog for allergies?

What type of over the counter pills can I give my dog for allergies resulting in sneezing and a stuffy/runny nose? (besides Benadryl)

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 years ago.

Hello. I'd like to help.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is sneezing.

It's unusual for dogs to sneeze with allergies but you can try Claritin (loratidine) at 5mg per 25 pound dog once or twice daily.

Most of the time dogs with allergies lick and chew at their skin and get itchy ears. Dogs with a runny nose may be reacting to scented sprays or room air freshners or carpet sprays, or laundry detergents or clothes softners. They may also have a foreign body in their nose or an infected tooth root or a fungal or bacterial infection in their nose.

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

Well she does the itching thing and the benadryl did help with the running/stuffy nose

Dr. Kara :

Ok so maybe this is somewhat allergy related. She may be the unusual one. Why aren't you still using Benadryl if it helped?

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

i had been using chewable children's tablets and I'm having a really hard time finding them again. The liquid works, but i ran out of ways to trick her to finish it

Dr. Kara :

Oh I see you can't find pills! You can use generic diphenhydramine too. No difference

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

ya, lol my little girl is special

Dr. Kara :

Funny!

Just make sure that they don't have anything else combined in like a decongestant.

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

ya makes sense

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

She is 11 lbs - how much should i give her if im doing children's claritin

Dr. Kara :

Use 2.5mg of Loratidine.

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

k i'll see if that works. :) Thank you.

While im at it....any suggestions for getting her to lick less? she gives kisses and then some

Dr. Kara :

Dogs that lick people are showing submission so it is really her way of telling you "you're boss" and I love you.

It's also a way for puppies to get attention from adults so ignoring her and walking away may help.

You aren't hurting her feelings that way but you also aren't giving her the attention she's likely asking for.

So although it will take awhile and may get worse before it gets better it should extinguish that behavior.

Just have to be consistent.

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

Alright good to know

Thank you.
Dr. Kara :

Very welcome. By the way I checked and Claritin children comes in 5mg dissolvable (chew) tablets so just give 1/2 of that.

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

:) I was just going to go looking for it.

Thank you!

Dr. Kara :

Again just make sure it's just Claritin, no decongestant or acetaminophen as that's toxic.

JACUSTOMER-reb8a2d8- :

ok

Dr. Kara :

Have a great day!