Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog has a large bump on his head it is soft to the touch

has been there for two...
my dog has a large bump on his head it is soft to the touch has been there for two days.
3/8/2011
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Dr. Deb :

Where on Batman's head is the lump? Approximately what size is it? Does it feel like it has fluid in it? Is it hairless, appear inflammed or reddish, or scabbed at all?

Customer:

hello

Customer:

just above his eyes is where it starts it covers most of his head.

Customer:

it does feel soft. it is larger than an egg.

Customer:

but not to much bigger

Dr. Deb :

Does he appear to be bothered by it at all?

Customer:

and no to the hairless reddish scabish.

Customer:

no he asks real mormal playful and eats as usual.

Customer:

sorry acts

Dr. Deb :

Do you know of any trauma he could have suffered while playing etc...?

Dr. Deb :

So, when you touch it... he doesn't seem to care?

Customer:

not that I've seen, but I have a 4 year old and a two year old they may have done something or we have two grown goldens like play a little rough with him something may have happened.

Customer:

no I don't press to hard but enough to know it's not a hard mass. it seems soft to the touch.

Dr. Deb :

Given your history and description, it sounds like it may be a swelling due to a bump on the head... but to be srue, I would have your vet take a look at it tomorrow to be sure that there aren't any fractures. You could try a cool compress for approximately 5-10 minutes at a time 6-8 hours apart. A bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel works well for this.

Customer:

will i see some change with the ice treatment if it is working. and how soon?

Dr. Deb :

You should, and after one or two treatments.

Dr. Deb :

Let me ask another question...

Dr. Deb :

Do his eyes look normal? Not moving abnormally? If you separate the hair at the center of the swelling, can you see any evidence of bruising?

Customer:

we noticed this for the first time yesterday afternoon. could there be additional concern for waiting so long without doing anything?

Customer:

his eyes do look normal and no discolor like bruising

Dr. Deb :

I can't examine it, but given all you've told me... good energy level, appetite, no vomiting and doesn't seem bothered by it... it's reasonable that you waited to see if it was a "goose egg." But, now that it hasn't resolved... I would have it checked. Has it increased in size at all since you first noticed it?

Customer:

I'm concerned that it may be slightly larger. but so slight that I'm not real sure. I just know it's not smaller like I had hoped on seeing after a day.

Dr. Deb :

Unless he becomes lethargic, painful, experiences vomiting, or any other new symptoms, I think you'll be ok until tomorrow. Try the cool compresses.

Dr. Deb :

How did he get the name Batman?

Customer:

I'm just really afraid of hearing that it may be some growth that is terminal. What are the chances of it sounding something that may be?

Customer:

My kids said to us we should have two dogs Batman and Robin so we do Male and female. Batman the puppies dad actually died a couple months ago so this is the son Batman Returns.

Dr. Deb :

Given his age... a tumor is not high on my list.

Dr. Deb :

I love the origin of the names :-)

Dr. Deb :

He's a pup, and I'm sure plays hard. Anything could have happened.

Customer:

Than I am also worried if I take him in what the cost may be, that"s why I'd like to try what I can at home first without putting him at risk.

Dr. Deb :

I can't say for sure... but definately an exam charge, and poss xrays. Maybe some medications, depending on what they think is going on. If it doesn't seem to be resolving with 3-4 compress treatments or you notice any other symptoms like I listed above... take him in for sure.

Customer:

Okay I will. Thanks for Chatting with me.

Dr. Deb :

You are so welcome! Have a good night...

Dr. Deb :

Deb

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind clicking on the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM