CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

What does it mean when my dog is excessively licking his nose

What does it mean when my dog is excessively licking his nose and drooling? He seems to have lost energy, but is eating, drinking and urinating.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is there any discharge FROM THE NOSE?

How much does he weigh?

-
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I haven't noticed any unusual discharge from the nose. It isn't unusual for his nose to run from time to time.

He is a 104 lb golden retriever. He has a very large frame and his regular vet has asked us to get him under 100 lbs.

One possible cause for this is nausea. Pepcid A/C (famotidine) can be safely used to reduce stomach acid formation and stomach upset. You can purchase this over the counter and give 20mg every 12 hours.

If that does not work - the other reasonable cause would be an allergy. For this you can try over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). 75mg every 8-12 hours.

I would try one first, then the other if it doesnt work as if you use both at the same time it will be hard to know which one actually worked!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.