Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 year old chihuahua that is on amoxicillin (14 days)

and a steroid after we...
I have a 10 year old chihuahua that is on amoxicillin (14 days) and a steroid after we visited the SPCA for about 15 minutes to see another 10 year old chihuahua mix for adoption. My dog has never had a respiratory infection before, now has runny nose no coughing. The SPCA did not tell us they had a antibiotic resistant kennel cough...the vet informed me when I picked up the new dog after he was neutered. We brought the other dog home on Friday, he received a Bordetella vaccine in January. He woke up this morning with a cough...can you advise me. Should I separate the dogs...I have been bleaching all bowls ans washing blankets with bleach...using good handwashing...I am a nurse.
2/21/2011
Dr. Heindel, D.V.M.
Dr. Heindel, D.V.M., Veterinarian

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

Hi, I'm Dr. Heindel, I'm going to try to assist you with your issue.

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

If this is indeed KC, you should keep them separated. And we are seeing resistant strains of KC. Also seeing a syndrome of KC - requiring abx, anti-tussives, and sometimes a low dose of steroid for inflammation.

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

However ...

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

I fear that what you are seeing MAY be collapsing trachea! This is SO common in this breed!

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

I'll provide a client education handout here:

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

First, one on KC:

KENNEL COUGH

What is Kennel Cough?

Kennel Cough is a broad term covering any infectious or contagious condition of dogs where coughing is one of the major clinical signs. The term tracheobronchitis describes the location of the infection in the “windpipe” or trachea and bronchial tubes. Several viruses and bacteria can cause kennel cough, often at the same time. These include adenovirus type-2 (distinct from the adenovirus type 1 that causes infectious hepatitis), parainfluenza virus, and the bacterium Bordetella bronchiseptica. Because the infection spreads when dogs are housed together, it is often seen soon after dogs have been in kennels, hence the name “kennel cough”.

What are the clinical signs of kennel cough other than coughing?

Clinical signs may be variable. It is often a mild disease, but the cough may be chronic, lasting for several weeks in some cases. Common clinical signs include a loud cough often describe as a “goose honk”, runny eyes and nose, swollen tonsils, wheezing, lack of appetite and depressed behavior. Most cases of infectious tracheobronchitis have a demonstrable or elicitable cough that occurs when the throat is rubbed or palpated.

What is the treatment for infectious tracheobronchitis?

There is no specific treatment for the viral infections, but many of the more severe signs are due to bacterial involvement, particularly Bordetella bronchiseptica. Antibiotics are useful against this bacterium, although some antibiotic resistance has been reported. Some cases require prolonged treatment, but most infections resolve within one to three weeks. Mild clinical signs may linger even when the bacteria have been eliminated.

How can I prevent my dog contracting Kennel Cough?

Most vaccination programs your veterinarian will recommend contain adenovirus and parainfluenza. Bordetella vaccination is also highly recommended for dogs that are boarded, groomed or interact with other dogs in areas such as dog parks.

How effective are these vaccines?

Immunity, even if the dog has experienced a natural infection, is neither solid nor long-lasting. We cannot expect vaccines to do much better. Since immunity varies with the circumstances, Consult with your veterinarian regarding specific vaccination recommendations for your pet. Which may vary according to specific circumstances. Some kennel facilities require a booster vaccination shortly before boarding and some veterinarians recommend a booster vaccine every six months to ensure maximum protection against this troublesome infection.

How are the Bordetella vaccines administered?

Bordetella vaccination is given either by injection or intra-nasal route. Intra-nasal refers to the liquid vaccine administered as nose drops. This allows local immunity to develop on the mucous membranes of the nose, throat and windpipe where the infectious agents first attack.

This client information sheet is based on material written by Ernest Ward, DVM.

© Copyright 2005 Lifelearn Inc. Used with permission under license. February 21, 2011

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

Next, collapsing trachea:

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

TRACHEAL COLLAPSE

What is a collapsing trachea?

The trachea, or windpipe, is the tube connecting the throat to the lungs. Small rings of cartilage along the tracheal wall maintain the tubal shape. In the dog, these rings do not completely encircle the windpipe, but go about 5/6 of the circumference. A thin membrane of tissue completes the circle. If the cartilage loses some of its turgidity or the membrane becomes slack and sags, the tracheal rings will flatten when air is drawn into the airway during inspiration. This is called tracheal collapse. It makes it difficult for air to get to the lungs.

Are certain breeds more often affected?

Yes, Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, Shih Tzu’s, Lhasa Apso’s, Toy poodles, and Yorkshire terriers are often affected with tracheal collapse. Because of that, we suspect a genetic factor is involved. It is important to note that tracheal collapse can occur in all dogs, regardless of size or breed.

What age does tracheal collapse usually occur?

Most dogs are middle-aged to elderly (4-14 years) but some dogs are much younger.

What are the clinical signs?

The most common clinical sign is a persistent, dry, harsh cough. It is sometimes described as a “goose honk" cough. The cough may worsen at night, with excitement, pressure on the trachea as from a leash, in hot or humid weather, or immediately after eating or drinking.

How is a collapsed trachea diagnosed?

During a physical exam, very light pressure placed on the trachea resulting in coughing or difficulty breathing can raise a suspicion of collapsed trachea. Other tests such as radiography (x-rays) or use of an endoscope or bronchoscope are needed to confirm the diagnosis.

Are there other conditions that can are similar to collapsing trachea?

Other causes of coughing, including congestive heart failure, must be ruled out. Sometimes heart disease and collapsed trachea are present at the same time.

How is collapsed trachea treated?

Collapsed trachea can be treated medically, surgically, or by a combination of the two. Your veterinarian will discuss the various treatment options. Even with good control, most dogs will continue to experience at least some coughing throughout its life.

What can I do to help the dog?

Weight reduction is important to reduce the severity of collapsing trachea. Prevent over-excitement and use a harness rather than a collar. Your veterinarian will provide specific treatment instructions to help with your dog’s condition.

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

Because tracheal collapse is SO prevalent in this breed, I'd keep it in mind as either a primary issue, or secondary issue, exacerbated by the KC.

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

Continue with the washing, isolation and fomite cleaning. If it's KC - it should clear up in 3 wks MAX. Clavamox (augmentin) is our first choice antibiotic for KC.

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

Good luck with this, I know how frustrating it is! Anti-tussives at night can help everyone rest better.

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

Hope I've been helpful!
Dr. Heindel

Customer:

I am familiar with the collapsing trachea...my dog Pete has few symptoms and is on the antibiotics and steroids...should I call the vet for more antibiotics for the new dog Ernie? He literally just woke up and coughs several times...not the sound of the collapsing trachea. I am a nurse of 31 years and have been so careful with my only dog of 10 years Pete...he has had yearly visits to the same vet for the 10 years I've had him without any problems. He had nasal Bordetella in August 2010 along with his other vaccinations. I am so afraid I have exposed him to something that may take his life. He is not exposed to nay other dogs...I will not visit another SPCA with him....ever!

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M. :

Yes, places like dog parks, pet stores and kennels are high risk areas for infection. Bordetella only protects against one strain of bacteria causing KC - there are other strains, as well as viral. I'd get Pete on Clavamox ASAP and he may need a chest x-ray. Let your doc examine him and see if he needs that. If Pete has a healthy immune system, he'll get over this. It's akin to a cold and RARELY turns into pneumonia. Be sure he's eating and well hydrated. He'll probably be just fine.

Dr. Heindel, D.V.M.
Dr. Heindel, D.V.M., Veterinarian
Is there any danger with sleeping with a pet who has KC, please advise.
No, this is not a zoonotic infection - you are not at risk of contracting it. :)
Dr. Heindel, D.V.M.
Dr. Heindel, D.V.M.
Dr. Heindel, D.V.M., Veterinarian