Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

Are there any over the counter NSAIDS that are safe for dogs

Are there any over the counter NSAIDS that are safe for dogs? I have an 11 year old Great Dane (140 pounds). She has been prescribed 600 mg of Etodolac/day which has helped greatly. Unfortunately it costs $30 for a 10 day supply. Thank you!

larsondvm :

The only over the counter NSAID that is safe to give dogs is aspirin. Buffered aspirin, such as Bufferin or Ascriptin will be easier on her stomach. You can safely give up to 1 gram every 12 hours.

Customer:

Thank you. Would that be safe to use long term as well?

larsondvm :

The Etodolac would be safer, but yes, you can use this long term.

Customer:

What are the risks of the buffered asprin vs Etodolac?

larsondvm :

The risks are the same as long term aspirin use in people. You would be looking at stomach problems and possible ulcers. However, this is the case with any NSAID being used long term.

larsondvm :

A buffered aspirin is much easier on the stomach.

Customer:

Thank you very much. I want her to be as comfortable as possible with the least amount of risks obviously. I always ask this question of her vet so - what would you do if it were your dog? Etodolac or asprin?

Customer:

Considering she will probably have to take one or the other forever

larsondvm :

As long as finances allow, I would use the Etodolac. This will be a bit more effective. However, I do understand financial limitations and have a number of patients on aspirin.

Customer:

Thank you again :)

larsondvm :

You're very welcome. I hope Mia gets to feeling better.

Customer:

One more question just to be sure - you said 1 gram/12 hours is safe correct? and 1000mg = 1 gram?

larsondvm :

Yes, that is correct.

Customer:

Ok, just wanted to make sure :)

larsondvm :

No problem. Feel free to come back if you need more help.