Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

13 year old cockapoo with diabetes. Not eating regular food

Customer Question
13 year old cockapoo with...
13 year old cockapoo with diabetes. Not eating regular food all of a sudden. Eating grass, but vomits right after. A lot of strange stomach noises.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/16/2011
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 6 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

How much does he weigh?

-
21.5lbs at his last vet appointment. We're from Maryland and are in FL on vacation.
To help with these signs of stomach upset, here are severel over the counter options for you:

1) Pepcid A/C (Famotidine) - 5mg every 12 hours.

2) Prilosec OTC - 10mg ONCE per day

3) A bland diet of chicken and white rice.

4) Hydration with pedialyte for fluids and electrolytes.

If the signs do continue, especially in a diabetic, veterinary evaluation is needed to make sure it is ok to still give the insulin and not have a hypoglycemic episode.

Please let me know of this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist