CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My neutered male dog has unusual, untimely erections that seem

My neutered male dog has unusual, untimely erections that seem to take him by surprise...
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

It is not uncommon or abnormal for neutered male to have erections.

In fact - some neutered male dogs can even tie bitches.

Sometimes it is hormonal in that there are females in the neighborhood who are in heat.

Other times this is behavioral, where an erection by the dog leads to fussing and attention by the owners (postive or negative) - and as a result they are behavioral and happening with an increased frequency.,

Please let me know of this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
 My neutered dog gets an erection and it's as if it hurts and he is embarressed. There are no female dogs around and it will not go away even though he seems to want it to go away, badly! He literally hides when this happens. Is there a reason it will not go away and should I be concerned?  

Hi there,

As you can see above, another expert has agreed with my post.

There are medical conditions such as tumors or infections which can lead to erections in dogs, but neutered dogs can get erections that are normal, no underlying cause, and not something we typically treat.