Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog got hit by a truck and now has blood in her urine

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/9/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Welcome to Just Answer. How long ago was Kyla hit by the truck? How is she acting at this time?

Today at about 4pm mtn time, and she seemed fine
Is she bright and alert? Breathing normal? Eating and drinking? Was her urination normal prior to this incident?
She was fine
So, the only problem at this point is the blood in the urine? Is she straining? Did she urinate a good amount?
She didn't appear to be straining
She went a good amount
OK. It actually isn't' that uncommon for a post hit by car dog to have some blood in their urine due to the trauma. When the hit / trauma occurred, it could have banged up the bladder and caused a small amount of bleeding into it. You won't see this until they urinate. As long as she's comfortable, eating well, drinking well, urinating good amounts, and not having abdominal enlargement - most likely this needs a couple days to flush out and it won't be an issue. If any of the previous is seen, she should be re-evaluated by your vet as there may be a more serious injury to the kidneys, ureters, bladder or urethra.
What else should I be looking for?
I would look for weakness, collapse, increased respiratory effort, pain, not being able to urinate, not eating and drinking.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian