Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

how to stop my adult male dog from peeing in the house

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Deb :

Is this new behavior?

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

Hi I have two male dogs one 8years old other 5 years old. How do I stop them mainly the older one from peeing in the house when i leave.

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

No sometimes it stops then he will start again. I do have a new granddaugther and he is jealous

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

what can i do to help him to stop

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

helow are you there please answer

Dr. Deb :

I'm here... I am also working with another client.

Dr. Deb :

How long has Marty been having issues with peeing in the house?

Dr. Deb :

Has his thirst increased or decreased recently? How is his appetite? Is he maintaining his weight okay? Any vomiting or lethargy?

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

since he was a puppy also when another relate dog would visit. With in the past 30days he will pee when ever I leave. He is nervous and anixous dog. Yet he obeys very well . I give him full freedom of house, when I am gone. He understand wrod well. He seem to feel bad , when I call him a bad dog for peeing in the house.

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

correction: relative dog come to visit

Dr. Deb :

Is he neutered? Have you ever tried crate training?

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

He is not neutered, No I have never tried crate traning, He like to eat, He is being walked atleast three time a week. He is over weight. His water intake seem the same. But I do allow him to drink when ever he wants.

Dr. Deb :

How big is Marty - what breeds predominately?

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

Sort of a medium stocky/ cocky build his mother was a shiu sue, father was a big dog maybe a retriever

Dr. Deb :

As long as he's eating and drinking ok... not drinking any more than usual... has a good energy level and isn't acting sick in any way... you could try crate training with him.

Dr. Deb :

This would entail, purchasing a crate large enough for him to lay down and get up and turn around easily.

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

Should I put him in the crate when I leave the house and what should I do with my other dog. He had been crate trained when I got him and he seem to pick with Marty when he pee's. That's how I know sometimes

Dr. Deb :

Then, try the crate only when you are going to be home. Make the crate a postitive place! Most dogs like their crates (mine do) - kind of their cave. Introduce the crate to him, put him in it, leave the door open to begin with. Then as he gets used to that, you can shut the door for a few minutes and then open it and let him out. Once he's used to that, try leaving him in for longer periods while you are home. Maybe go out in the yard or another room for a little while.

Dr. Deb :

Then, if he's doing ok with this, you can try going to the store, maybe a 1-hour trip. Continue increasing the time frame that you are gone, as long as he's doing ok with it.

Dr. Deb :

Most dogs prefer not to urinate and defecate in their "space."

Dr. Deb :

So, if you can make the crate a positive place - "his" place... this may work.

Dr. Deb :

But, if youi are noticing any increase in thirst or other symptoms - ruling out any medical causes will be indicated. Urinary tract infections, kidney disease, diabetes, and hyperadrenocorticism can all cause increased urination and accidents in the house. But, being a nervous dog and changes around teh house can also cause issues.

JACUSTOMER-1vcxvwlv- :

Okay i will try the crate

Dr. Deb :

I sure hope this helps. You can find information online about crate training. Or, if you have someone locally that deals with dog behavior, they may be able to help more specifically with Marty's issue.

Dr. Deb :

Take care...

Dr. Deb :

Deb

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind clicking on the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...