Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dogs whole eye is blood red what does that mean

Customer Question
?...
my dogs whole eye is blood red what does that mean ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/6/2011
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 6 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Are you talking about around the eye or blood actually in the eye itself where you can't see the pupil?

-
the whole eye is the same color red, the white the iris and the pupil. it now looks like the other eye has blood in the white of her eye.
What you are describing, notably blood in the eye, is termed Hyphema.

Possible causes may include:

- Hypertension (high blood pressure)

- Uveitis / infection / inflammation

- Systemic or metabolic disease (kidney disease, liver disease, etc)

- Clotting problems

- Tick borne disease

This can be a quite serious finding - and I would recommend she is evaluated - TONIGHT!

Tests to consider:
- Bloodwork (CBC/Chemistry Screen/)

- Bloodwork - Tick Titers

- Urinalysis

- Blood pressure

- Clotting panel

Then we can certainly get into more tests:

- X-rays

- Ultrasound

- etc

I hope this information helps and guides you. PLEASE let me know!

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist