Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog eats dirt, has frequent bouts of Nausea, Vomiting, and

diarrhea, and has lost a...
My dog eats dirt, has frequent bouts of Nausea, Vomiting, and diarrhea, and has lost a lot of weight, and is now at least 10 pounds underweight.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2011
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

What color are her gums?

What is her normal diet?

Is this a new change or has this been going on for a long time?

-
1)Her gums are a pale pink in color.

2)Her diet was switched last year by sons girlfriend to Pedigree dog food, and she had been raised on Purina One lamb rice formula until then. Since the ongoing weight loss we have slowly switched her back to Purina One for sensitive stomachs, she eats frequent small meals, and drinks plenty of fluids I think if we could stop the diarrhea she would be much better off. They checked her blood work and it was fine except for they thought it was maybe her gall bladder so they ran a fasting fat test, which was high normal, then fed her a fatty meal which turned out normal.

3) We started to notice some weight loss, and diarrhea first, in November her weight was 21.5 pounds which was down from her previous exam the previous year from 30lbs, which was slightly overweight, norm is 25 pds, the Vet was comfortable with that. As of her return visit in late December she was down to 16.5 lbs, and her rib cage is prominent, please help she is my buddy, always in Mommy's lap.
While dogs can eat dirt and abnormal things - and we often think that this is behavioral, those dogs are normal otherwise - not losing weight.

With the weight loss you describe, I worry this is not just behavioral and there is a true medical condition for this, whether it is the liver or another belly organ such as this pancreas which is causing this pain, nausea, and desire to eat dirt.

In a case such as this, if further information is still needed after the bloodwork, the recommendation to get a closer look at all of the abdominal organs, stomach, intestines, liver, spleen, pancreas, etc would be to have an abdominal ultrasound performed.

If you are not familiar with this procedure, this link will help:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/abdominal-ultrasound-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope these recommendations and tests get to the bottom of this for you!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Where would I need to have her seen to have the abdominal ultrasound, yes I am familiar with the test as I was a Critical care Nurse for 30years, but am now disabled; from 30 years of Nursing, lol,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
. I am on a fixed income so do not have Credit cards, or large sums of free money with a son at Virginia Tech doing a double major of Pre-Med, and Psychology.

Her liver lab studies were normal, but could be a common bile duct blockage, but I thought the color of the stool would change it is still brown, but thick liquid, I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Your veterinarian should be able to refer you to a radiologist in your area - Virginia Tech in fact can do it - but someone more local in your area should be able to do this.

The cost for the test is about $300, but to be quite honest, this would be a VERY good use of your money, time, and effort with this history!

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist