Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

i think my dog is constipated what can i do naturally

Customer Question
i think my dog is...
i think my dog is constipated what can i do naturally to help him
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, DVM replied 6 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Dr. Deb :

What symptoms is Bambam exhibiting?

Customer :

he is not eating and his tAIL IS VERY TUCKED IN I OBSERVED HIM TRYING TO HAVE BOWEL BUT DIDNT SEEM TO XXXXX TO ATE A LITTLE CHICKEN FROM MY HAND BUT ALSO VERY LATHARGIC

Dr. Deb :

Has he had any vomiting?

Customer :

I HAVE NOT OBSERVED ANY

Dr. Deb :

When was his last bowel movement? And, how long has he been lethargic and eating less? How is his thirst - more or less?

Customer :

DONT KNOW LAST BOWEL LASST COUPLE OF DAYS BEEN A LITTLE DN AND NOT EATING HAS BEEN DRINKING A LOT

Dr. Deb :

I have a few more questions...

Dr. Deb :

If you gently squeeze on his belly from either side at the same time... is it tense and does he seem painful when you do this?

Dr. Deb :

Can you tell me how his gums and tongue look - pink and moist?

Dr. Deb :

Is he able to settle down/lay down and rest?

Customer :

HE IS LYING IN THE YARD USUALLY WHEN I GET HM HE IS WAITING AT DOOR HE WAS NOT TONIGHT

Dr. Deb :

Is he urinating normally? How is his gum color - pink and moist? Is his belly tender or painful when you touch it?

Customer :

I JUST TRIED TO GET HIM UP HE WONT GET UP WE HAVE A FREEZE WARNING TONIGHT HE IS TOO BIG FOR ME TO PICK UP I CANT SEE GUMS HIS ABDOMEN SEEMS HARD

Dr. Deb :

I'm concerned that he may not be constipated, that it may be more serious.

Dr. Deb :

Is he neutered?

Customer :

YES I GUESS I WILL GET HM TO VET IN AM

Dr. Deb :

I know this must seem like a lot of questions, but necessary to get an idea of what may be going on.

Dr. Deb :

Can you take his temperatur for me?

Customer :

HOW DO I DO THAT??

Dr. Deb :

:-) Do you have a digital or mercury thermometer in the house? You have to take it rectally.

Customer :

I WILL CK

Customer :

NO I DONT HAVE ONE IM JUST NOT SURE HE WILL BE OKAY OUTSIDE TONIGHT ??

Dr. Deb :

No, if you can at all help it - keep him inside tonight. If you needed to - can you get him to a vet tonight?

Dr. Deb :

When was the last time he urniated?

Customer :

IM NOT SURE I WK ALL DAY

Dr. Deb :

Keep him inside tonight - is that possible?

Customer :

I CANT PICK HIM UP IM TRYING EVERYTHING TO GET HIM IN

Dr. Deb :

There are several serious conditions that could be ocurring with him. Is there anyone you can recruit to help you? If he were just consitpated, he would get up for you.

Dr. Deb :

How far do you have to go to get him into the house?

Dr. Deb :

Or your car?

Customer :

I DONT HAVE ANYONE AT THIS TIME SHOULD I TRY TO DRAG HIM LIGHTLY IN ITS ABOUT 25 FT IN TO HSE

Dr. Deb :

Grab a large towel and a leash if you have one. Roll the towel length wise and use it as a sling under his belly in front of his hips - where each end come up on either side and try to lift his hind end that way and the leash around his neck to try to lift his front end. Or you can try to roll him onto a blanket and drag him. Do you have stairs you have to go up?

Customer :

I JUST TRIED TO ROLL HIM ON A BLANKET BUT IT SEEMED TO HURT HIM HIS BELLY SEEMS HARD

Dr. Deb :

There is no one nearby that could help you - a neighbor? I know it would be a lot to ask, but if at all possible, it sounds like Bambam needs to see a vet tonight. Or, if you can't do that, maybe someone could help you get him into the house. Are you in the country?

Dr. Deb :

I wish I was there to help! I wish I had a home remedy that would help. But as he's not eating, we won't be able to get anything into him.

Dr. Deb :

I'll be online for another hour or so... if you can let me know how things are going.

Dr. Deb :

Deb

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind clicking on the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM