Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

accidently gave my epileptic dog a double dosage of his phenobarbital

accidently gave my epileptic dog a double dosage of his phenobarbital pills. what should i do?

Dr Kara :

Hello. I know you are very worried but phenobarb has a wide dose range so you might be fine. How many milligrams did you give in total and how much does Bouy weigh?

Dr Kara :

How long has he been taking the drug and has he had any side effects from it? Lethargy, increased liver enzyme levels? Has he had any recent seizures?

JACUSTOMER-fxnen9mv- :

230 mg, he weighs about 98 lbs, big boxer

Dr Kara :

I think you will be fine, the dose range is 2 to 5mg/kg normally and at 230mg he's up near the 5mg/kg dose range, so he's within normal dosing amounts.

JACUSTOMER-fxnen9mv- :

what should i look for to cause concern?

Dr Kara :

Tonight expect to see sleepiness, maybe some incoordination so watch him around stairs, and he should be very thirsty and hungry if he's not too sleepy. He may have an accident in the house tonight.

JACUSTOMER-fxnen9mv- :

that's about like normal, thank you

Dr Kara :

Cause for concern is if you can't wake him, or conversely if he gets very hyper but those effects shouldn't last more then 12 to 18 hours and can be treated with iv fluids to flush out his system at the emergency service.