Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog is lethargic and vomiting and groaning with white gums,

my dog is lethargic and...
my dog is lethargic and vomiting and groaning with white gums, seems constipated and has runny soft stool the comes out uncontrolled sporatically
1/31/2011
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

White gums are an emergency, do you have an emergency veterinary clinic in your area?

dogdoc4u :

It means shock and/ or blood loss

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

The gums aren't totally white, kind of pale, not pink like they normally are. Yes, there is an emergy clinic about an hour away.

dogdoc4u :

If she were a German Shepherd or a larger dog I would say let's see what we can do but a dog this small can get very sick very quickly (as you can see...) and would recommend heading into the er

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

There are no signs of bleeding and she is responsive not like in shock??

dogdoc4u :

The bleeding can be internal and may not show any external signs... the pale pink gums are a very big concern for a veterinarian

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

What does the diarea mean? My wife says the gums are looking better then they did an hour ago but still a little pale.

dogdoc4u :

Diarrhea is an indication of gastroenteritis, the moaning might be due to abdominal pain such as cramping

dogdoc4u :

Do you have an ability to take her temperature?

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

We have a thermometer, do we take it rectal?

dogdoc4u :

Yes, with some vaseline

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

Should be 98.6?

dogdoc4u :

No, between 100-102

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

ok, taking now.

dogdoc4u :

OK, I will be here

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

It is 99.7

dogdoc4u :

A little low...has her diarrhea had any blood in it?

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

No

dogdoc4u :

Mucus

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

None and no runny hose

dogdoc4u :

I am still very worried about her gum color.

dogdoc4u :

Any vomiting?

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

Yes ,earlier when we first noticed but not since.

dogdoc4u :

When is earlier? When was the last time she ate?

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

We don't know exactly but we did see her eating earlier in the afternoon and she was playful and excited like normal. She is starteind to move around and hold her head as we speak now but she wasn't at all earlier.

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

Vomitting an hour or so ago

dogdoc4u :

When this episode began then?

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

Pretty much, yes.

dogdoc4u :

OK, because she is so small I would get some sugar in her. Do you have any karo syrup?

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

Yes we do.

dogdoc4u :

Go ahead and give her a tsp of it

dogdoc4u :

I would definitely recommend bringing in a fresh stool sample to your vet in the morning to begin treating the diarrhea

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

Ok, should we still consider ER or is waiting till morning, ok. We have nutrical is that ok?

dogdoc4u :

How is she acting now?

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

standing and on her own now

dogdoc4u :

Gum color?

dogdoc4u :

No nutrical, just a little karo to ensure her glucose is stable

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

about the same

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

ok on the karo

dogdoc4u :

If she is continuing to improve just keep an eye on her but the gums still bother me

dogdoc4u :

If it happens again, I would go in...

JACUSTOMER-gna33nuk- :

Understood, thank you for your, have a great evening.

dogdoc4u :

You as well

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian