Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

i have a chihuahua with a swollen rectum and it looks red

sore, he is walking with...
i have a chihuahua with a swollen rectum and it looks red sore, he is walking with a slight wobble, he is over ten years old.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2011
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Does he lick and bother the rectal area?

Dr. Lee :

Does he have any diarrhea?

JACUSTOMER-8mhf2sks- :

he seems to rub his rectum along the floor, and he does have a sort of siarrhea to his stool.

Dr. Lee :

Thanks for the info.

Dr. Lee :

What you are seeing could be due to anal gland impaction and infection/abscess.

Dr. Lee :

He needs to go see your vet for exam, and have the anal glands expressed, and if it is infected as well, antibiotic is needed.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

JACUSTOMER-8mhf2sks- :

only one concern i cannot get him to a vet until thursday, is that a problem, also can i make him more comfortable in the meantime?

Dr. Lee :

It shouldn't be a problem to wait until Thursday. But it is better for him is you can get him in sooner.

Dr. Lee :

Unfortunately there is nothing you can give at home to help with the problem.

Dr. Lee :

Unless you know how to express anal glands, that would help. If not, then there is nothing you can do.

Dr. Lee :

And antibiotic will require prescription, so he will have to wait until he sees your vet.

JACUSTOMER-8mhf2sks- :

Dr Lee thank you for your diagnosis, it is very much apprectiated, i will take Terry to the vets asap. Many thanks for your time.

Dr. Lee :

You're welcomed. You can press Accept to end the live chat. Any follow up questions can be posted on the Q&A session without further charges.

Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian