Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 12 week old French Bulldog puppy. We are feeding her

Royal Canin mini puppy 33...
I have a 12 week old French Bulldog puppy. We are feeding her Royal Canin mini puppy 33. On the back of the bag it says we should be feeding her a cup and a half per day from now until 10 months, but I know those numbers can often be exaggerated. Can you tell me how much I should be feeding my puppy now and how much that should change over the first year of her life? Is there an accurate table that shows how much food she should be getting each day as she gets older?
1/10/2011
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

I love Frenchies! You are right, that does seem like a lot of food for a dog her size

dogdoc4u :

How often do you feed her? How much does she weigh?

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

It also seems strange that that amount doesnt change until 10 months old, regardles of growing or weight gain

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

we feed her 3 times a day currently, and she weighs about 5 pounds now

dogdoc4u :

Yep, weight ranges on a bag are based on a nonneutered very active dog

dogdoc4u :

Perfect

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

well, she isnt spayed yet, she is a bit too young, but she will be

dogdoc4u :

How much are you feeding and how does she look

dogdoc4u :

They base the bag amount on the highest caloric intake dog so you give more daily and have to buy more frequently

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

right now, we are giving her 1/8 of a cup 3 times a day, plus she has chew things that she eats. She looks good, but i think she should be getting more

dogdoc4u :

That is a normal amount for a growing dog her size. Let me see what the calories are in the food, be right back

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

ok, thank you

dogdoc4u :

Are you feeding the labrador puppy? That is number 33

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

no, this was the food the pet store gave us because it was what she was eating before we got her. She is not a labrador

dogdoc4u :

I understand but the bag number 33 is labrador puppy

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

but it is mini puppy 33

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

it doesnt say anything about labrador on the front, it says dogs up to 20 po9unds

dogdoc4u :

OK, well it does not have the calories on the website. If she is looking good but still hungry because she is going through a growth spurt I would consider increasing the evening +/- morning to 1/3 cup

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

I think you may be looking at labrador retriever 33, this is mini puppy 33

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

OK, we will do that. Is there any sort of table for how we should be changing the amount of food she receives as she gets older?

dogdoc4u :

It's ok, we can figure it out without the calories which are not listed on the website anyway

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

wait, i have that, tis on the bag

dogdoc4u :

I usually recommend watching as they grow to make sure they are still lean and not getting heavy

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

4227 kilocalories per kg or 501 kilocalories per cup

dogdoc4u :

It is hard to assess on each individual dog so it is best to see how she grows, how much exercise she gets, how her weight looks on a body condition score

dogdoc4u :

Wow, that is the highest kcal/cup I think I have ever seen!

dogdoc4u :

I wouldn't increase her diet if that is the case...

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

OK, then next question...should we be putting her on different food?

dogdoc4u :

Most puppy foods are between 380-450 kcal/cup

dogdoc4u :

What have you used in the past for your dogs?

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

never had one, this is my first dog

dogdoc4u :

OK, where do you usually go to get your dog food?

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

we are still on the first bag that we got at the pet store...we got her on new years eve

dogdoc4u :

Is it petsmart, petco, or a local store?

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

well, that one was a local store, but far from where we live, probably we will be shopping at petco from now on

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

specifically the large one in Union Square in NYC

dogdoc4u :

A local feed store then?

dogdoc4u :

I have a tendency to feed organic diets, less preservatives/by-products so healthier. It depends on where you buy on what you can get

dogdoc4u :

I prefer that, buy local not commercial!

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

OK, i am a fan of small business :-)

dogdoc4u :

Plus, the staff is usually much more educated on the diets and usually carry more of the organic options

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

what brands would you suggest for her. Like if you were getting a 3 month old french bulldog tomorrow, what would you feed her?

dogdoc4u :

I personally tend to feed Eukanuba puppy and once old enough, 10 months or so use a diet called Prairie. My chihuahua puppy just went directly to the prairie diet because small breed dogs don't necessarily need puppy food

dogdoc4u :

Also decreases the risk of food allergies

dogdoc4u :

It is by nature's variety

dogdoc4u :

I like the prairie because it is meant to be a rotational diet, so every bag you chance to a different flavor and do not have to rotate slowly, say over a week. It gives them a variety in their routine and isn't as mundane

dogdoc4u :

But the Eukanuba Puppy is great and what I feed my large breed dogs as puppies before adjusting them to the adult diet

dogdoc4u :

I meant corporate

dogdoc4u :

Unfortunately few organic diets have a puppy option as I found out when I went shopping for my Chihuahua

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

I have seen Eukanuba before, I can definitely get that, but I have not seen Prairie. Is it readily available?

dogdoc4u :

You can go to the nature's variety website and put in your location and it will pull up anyone who might sell it in your area. If it isn't an option you are welcome to let me know and I can give you some alternatives

dogdoc4u :

You can also ask your veterinarian which diet he/she recommends as well

dogdoc4u :

Have I helped? Do you have additional questions?

dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please reply back. If you would like to accept my answer, please press ACCEPT. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

Sorry, computer was fighting me on the copying and pasting of all of this

JACUSTOMER-qk0ng9m6- :

I will click accept, and thank you

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian