Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dogs Front legs are giving out. It has happened twice in

Customer Question
My Dog's Front legs are...
My Dog's Front legs are giving out. It has happened twice in the last week. He is a 82lb Pit Bull Terrier. All of his labs came back normal and he is now on Rimadyl. He also pants excessively when he has these episodes and basically walks crooked and then falls on his face. He has been eating less for the last two weeks and seems sleepier than normal, but is still eating, using the bathroom, and even playing some. Is there something else the vet should be checking? I have read that heart issues, arthristis, and spinal tumors have similar traits. He is 7 years old.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2011
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 6 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When this episode happens, does he just collapse?

Is he responsive during an episode?

-
Yes, he is responsive and does not seem to loose conciousness. The precursor is that he begins to walk sort of staggered and then his front two legs both give out. I also noticed that when he had an episode today his front legs seem to be trembling or quivering afterward, sort of like when we shiver in the cold mildly, but he was still sniffing around for food my son may have left on the floor and seemed interested in food.
While one possible cause would be a seizure - this does not seem to be a true seizure episode.

Most often when a dog has a seizure, the entire body is involved in stiffness and possibly stiffness/contraction cycles (tonic/clonic action). The animal loses consciousness and may urinate or defecate.

This does not seem like what your dog is doing.

I would be more concerned you are describing a syncope episode. This is the sudden loss of consciousness or a sudden and marked weakness. It may be associated with anything from low blood sugar to severe heart disease.

Based on what you describe - I would recommend seeing your veterinarian. Aside from a basic physical examination and bloodwork, I would recommend an EKG looking for an arrhythmia or even an ultrasound of the heart, called an Echocardiogram if needed to see if there is heart disease.

I hope this information helps - please let me know if you have other questions!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist