Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What do I dog if my ate ice melt and is acting really si

What do I dog if...
What do I dog if my ate "ice melt" and is acting really sick
1/9/2011
vetmom4
vetmom4, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am vetmom and sorry to hear about your dog.

The biggest issue is it is full of salt. You need to get her to an ER for intravenous fluids to lower the sodium level immediately.

Kind regards, vetmom

There is not an animal ER near where I live. is there another option we can try? nearest animal ER is almost 30-45 minutes away

I'm sorry I was not online when you responded but I saw you were offline and thought you had taken him to the ER.

How is he doing this morning?

Thanks, vetmom

seems really sluggish. not wanting to move around much. She is still drinking water but has no will to get up and move around much.

You may be out of the woods but her sodium is definitely still elevated if she is drinking and I would encourage that. Any more seizures? Any more consideration of taking to the ER?

Thanks, vetmom

no more seizures thus far... A lil worried about taking to an ER, because they are calling for some severe weather here in the next day or so. If we have to leave her who knows when we'll be able to get back to get her. It is aXXXXXto the nearest animal Hospital.

if things are okay through today, do you think it'd be okay to wait til tomorrow and take her a more local vet??

Sorry for the delay in reply. I had to go to other job. Hopefully she is stable. It would be a good idea to have her sodium levels checked tomorrow. She may need IV fluids to help get them down. I sure am glad she has done this well. Why do dogs eat these things?? Stay warm, vetmom
vetmom4
vetmom4, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you so much for your advice. She started eating some cooked chicken tonight. the first she's ate in a couple days. hoping thats a positive step. We'll just have to see what local vet says.

Thanks again

vetmom4
vetmom4
vetmom4, Dog Veterinarian