Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Why Does My Dog Urinate All The Time He is 9 years old

Why Does My Dog Urinate...
Why Does My Dog Urinate All The Time?

He is 9 years old and seems to want to go out to urinate every 45 minutes to an hour. When we are not home he has accidents all the time. He never used to do this.
1/8/2011
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Is he producing a large volume of urine every time he goes out?

2- Is he drinking more than usual?

3- How long has this been going on?

4- Is he losing weight?

5- How is his appetite?

1. Not every time. Sometimes he does and sometimes it a small amount.

2. Yes, he does seem to be drinking water.

3. 4 months.

4. Appetite is normal. He eats one cup of dry food a day.

When a male dog has an increase in frequency in urination it could be as a result of an enlarged prostate, bladder stones, increase water consumption secondary to kidney or liver disease, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), infections and even cancer.

As you can see there are many conditions that can cause a dog to urinate more frequently. If this was my patient in the clinic the plan would be:

1- Physical exam with a prostate exam.

2- CBC, urinalysis and chemistry: This will tell me the overall status of the liver, kidney, infections, sugar (diabetes), etc.

3- Based on the above findings we may proceed with xrays.

Once I have the results on the above, I will be able to explain and treat why your dog is urinating so frequently. I would recommend you follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on exam.

Hope this helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you for your help. We will take him to his doctor ASAP!
Your Welcome.
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian