Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog wont feed her puppies unless someone sits and makes

Customer Question
my dog won't feed her...
my dog won't feed her puppies unless someone sits and makes her do so. what do i do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your female. How old are these puppies? Is this her first litter?
yes this is her first litter. the puppies are around three weeks right now. she seems really despressed.
Ok. Is she still eating and drinking normally? What breed is she? Do her mammary glands look enlarged, painful and red?
yes she is eating and drinking normally. the glands look very enlarged and a little red
Ok. It is a situation where at this time she may be having some discomfort due to a slight mastitis going on. With the puppies being 3 weeks of age, you can start to wean them. This will take some of the pressure off mom to nurse them. I would soften some puppy kibble and make a mash and let them play in int. In all honesty, she might be trying to wean them already as it is painful for her to nurse them as they are getting their teeth and they are getting most likely more rough / aggressive during the nursing process. I would have mom checked over to make sure she doesn't have a mastitis going on too that needs to be treated.
ok i had another question as well . when should i give the puppies dewormer?
I recommend starting their deworming at 4 to 6 weeks of age.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian