Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

puppy has clear mucous after he has solid poops. 7 weeks old

Customer Question
puppy has clear mucous after...
puppy has clear mucous after he has solid poops. 7 weeks old has been weened for two weeks
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian

Denise Colgrove :

Hi there,

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

hi

Denise Colgrove :

The mucous indicates a colitis which may be from parasites. Many as much as 80 % of pups and kittens are born with roundworms that they get from there mothers.

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

he has had one round of de-wormer already and we are supposed to give him another one next week

Denise Colgrove :

OK very good. I would use something like Panacur which is Fenbendazole and gets most parasites except tapeworms.

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

pyran was given to him

Denise Colgrove :

Yes, that gets rounds and hooks. Have the stool checked for coccidia too as that takes a sulfa drug to get rid of.

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

the mucous isn't in the stool

Denise Colgrove :

Is it around the stoool?

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

he has a solid stool and the mucous follows afterwards

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

it is in little globs

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

it has the consistency of hair gel

Denise Colgrove :

Yes, there is inflammation of the large bowel. If the repeat worming doesn't take care of it, your vet might prescribe metronidazole or Flagyl as that often helps colitis. Sometimes we do not find the cause and it is called idiopathic.

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

how serious is this?

Denise Colgrove :

Not very serious. Sometimes there is blood with it and then that is a little alarming, so need to treat.

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

ok, so we just bought him yesterday. we were gien another dose of the dewormer to give him next week....how longa after that should the problem clear up before we need to be concerned

Denise Colgrove :

If it was due to Hooks or Round worms the problem should clear up in 3 to 4 days. If not then you need to look for the cause as possibly being another kind of parasite, bacteria, food allergy etc. Often a fecal sample is run and they are treated with the Flagyl, if no Coccidia etc.

JACUSTOMER-5ybcwuq1- :

ok...should we deworm out other dog and cat then as well?

Denise Colgrove :

It is always a good idea to worm every 6 mos for the first 3 years then yearly. If you use a monthly heartworm preventative most of them now also control Round and Hook worms.

Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian