Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is bleeding out of the, and keeps thoughing up? And…

Customer Question
my dog is bleeding out...
my dog is bleeding out of the ass, and keeps thoughing up? And he seems unable to have a crap
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2010
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 7 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

How often is he vomiting?

How much does he weigh?

When did this all start?
-

2 times in the last hour, 75lbs, 3 hours ago

From your history - it certainly sounds like there may be a gastroenteritis or colitis, or even a hemorrhagic colitis. This can be from many different causes including eating something abnormal and even certain types of infections including intestinal parasites, giardia, and coccidia.

Here is a link on the hemorrhagic component.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge/page1.aspx

If you would like to try conservative management at home, you can try to offer a bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken). I would try this for about 1 week, hoping that he improves over this time.

I would also recommend adding a supplement such as 1 tablespoons of bran, canned pumpkin, or metamucil as a fiber source to increase the stool consistency.

You can also consider giving 15mg of Pepcid A/C (famotidine) by mouth every 12 hours for 5 days for stomach upset. You can purchase this over the counter.

BUT - if the signs do continue or worsen, having x-rays performed to make sure there is not a blockage or a belly problem would be best!

I hope this information helps! PLEASE let me know...
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist