Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

is co-amoxiclav 625mg the corrett medicine for kennel cough

Customer Question

is co-amoxiclav 625mg the corrett medicine for kennel cough 'my german shepard weights45kgs thank you camilla
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. Kennel cough is in fact a group disease with a number of causes, some bacterial some viral. If you are dealing with a bacterial form then there would be a number of antibiotics which could be effective. For example penicillin, oxytetracycline, ampicillin and yes co-amoxiclav and derivatives like it.

2. If you are dealing with a viral form then it will just run it's course but antibiotics may still be useful as they will prevent secondary infections and yes co-amoxiclav could be used.

3. While I cannot induce you to self treat your dog I can tell you that a reasonable dose rate for co-amoxiclav in the dog would be 6.25 mg per lb of your dog's body weight twice a day for a five day course. { = 280 mg twice a day, it would be safe though to give 1/2 a 625mg tablet twice a day, this would be close enough }

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS