Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.
24683783

Help! My 10 year old beagle/dachshund mixed breed has been

Help! My 10 year old beagle/dachshund mixed breed has been acting sick for a month. Mostly, she pants heavily, shakes, and acts very anxious. She is also mostly deaf now (this has come about gradually over the past year). So far, she's had a complete blood chemistry done twice, a lyme test, an ultrasound of her stomach, an MRI of her upper neck, back, and head (to rule out slipped discs), and a spinal tap (to rule out meningitis). We have been able to rule out everything--the only thing they found was a bad inner ear infection. But after three full days on an antibiotic for the infection (and a medicine to help any possible arthritis), she is still acting lethargic, isn't eating regularly, and still pants and shakes constantly. She stands a lot--I came home the other day and she was standing in a corner panting. It came on very suddenly and there is nothing new in my environment. She saw a neurologist for the MRI, etc. and they don't think it's behavioral, but we can't figure out what is wrong. HELP!!

Denise Colgrove :

Hi there,

Denise Colgrove :

Everythnig seems very thorough. Was a low dose dexamethasone test done? I wonder about Cushing's disease. We see heavy panting with that.

Denise Colgrove :

Other symptoms include increased water and food intake,

JACUSTOMER-jrbl2c37- :

She hasn't been eating much--in fact, I put her food down and she eats every other day--although still drinking normally (my dog has always been a BIG drinker!). She's lost some weight, but is still taking her treats.

JACUSTOMER-jrbl2c37- :

The ultrasound of her belly found an enlarged spleen--but the vet wasn't sure if this was just normal for her, or if it was enlarged due to infection.

JACUSTOMER-jrbl2c37- :

The MRI was primarily of her neck and spine; however, because she's small they were able to scan her brain, and no tumors were found. Also, two blood panels were done and everything came back within normal levels.

JACUSTOMER-jrbl2c37- :

I am curious to hear what my doctor might say about Cushings. I will mention it to them when I see them again. They want me to wait for the medicine to kick in--I'm nervous because I haven't seen any improvement, but they tell me a bad inner ear infection can take a long time to heal--and a culture was done which is still pending analysis (I know that sometimes you have to try different antibiotics depending on what type of infection it is).

Denise Colgrove :

Hope she improves soon.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just an update: it seems the inner ear infection was the culprit. She's much improved after being on the antibiotics and Deramaxx for any possible arthritis. She's back to being her happy, active self! She'll be on the antibiotic for a minimum of 6 weeks total.
That is fantastic! I am so happy for you and her.