How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Goodall Your Own Question
Dr. Goodall
Dr. Goodall, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 536
Experience:  BVMS and MRCVS
51584142
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Goodall is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a dog eats mole poison, what would be the protocol for

This answer was rated:

If a dog eats mole poison, what would be the protocol for treatment?

aegoodall :

Hi there I'm Dr Goodall. When did your dog eat the mole poison? Are you sure this is what is was? How much do you think he ate?

JACUSTOMER-lx9tmtt2- :

He ate it on Tuesday--he has since passed away--just not feeling like the vet did everything they should have--just wondered what the procedure would be

aegoodall :

Early signs of Strychnine (mole poison) are apprehension, nervousness, tenseness, and stiffness. These progress to seizures (fitting), during which time breathing often stops. If untreated, the entire syndrome may last only 1-2 hr.

aegoodall :

Oh i'm sorry to hear that, what a shame

aegoodall :

The problem with mole poisoning is that without immediate treatment, death often occurs i=within a very short period of time.

JACUSTOMER-lx9tmtt2- :

what would the immediate treatment be

aegoodall :

Treatment should be aimed at decontamination, control of seizures, prevention of asphyxiation, and supportive care. Vomiting should be induced to rid the stomach of any unabsorbed strychnine, and then activated charcoal given to absorb any remaining. Anti-convulsants should be given alongside fluid therapy, and muscle relaxants may be administered too.

aegoodall :

Severely affected dogs should be intubated (beathing tube down the airway) and artificial respiration provided.

aegoodall :

So basically, try to get the dog to vomit the poison up, then try to stop seizures, aid breathing and give fluids intravenously to help 'flush' the toxin out and prevent kidney damage.

aegoodall :

Sadly though, treatment is often not started quick enough.

JACUSTOMER-lx9tmtt2- :

Thank you--this makes me so sad as I feel my vet may have failed me.

aegoodall :

Did they not do the above?

JACUSTOMER-lx9tmtt2- :

No--gave him the medicine to make him vomit and then something to make him stop. Told us to give him milk of mag for the next couple of days and keep an eye on him. They made me feel like he would be ok--3 hours later he went into convulsions/ seizure type thing and died. I thiught maybe he should have been kept at the office under careful watch of a professional the way you make it sound

aegoodall :

Oh dear, that's really sad. I suppose if on clinical exam he seemed ok after being made sick then maybe they thought they'd got it early... However I honestly can't really defend them, Strychnine poisoning is really serious, and you're right, he should have been admitted for monitoring at the least.

JACUSTOMER-lx9tmtt2- :

Thank you for your answer--he was just such a wonderful dog--I would have done anything to save him.

aegoodall :

Aw poor you, I feel so sorry for you. Hope you get through this difficult time.

Dr. Goodall and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you