Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

10 yr old female dog with one swollen, hard and red nipple,

Customer Question
she doesn't seem to be...
10 yr old female dog with one swollen, hard and red nipple, she doesn't seem to be brothered with it, should I be concerned?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Is she spayed?

2- Is the swelling limited to the nipple or is the gland (below the nipple) swollen as well?

no she is not spayed

yes the gland is swollen

In response to your question, this type of swelling of the mammary glands in dogs is a concern because it could be a tumor; 50% of mammary gland tumors in dogs are malignant. Your dog needs to have either a biopsy or fine needle aspirate to evaluate and determine if it is a tumor and if so, what type. Surgical removal, +/- chemotherapy is the recommendation if it is malignant; consider having this checked as soon as you can; the sooner we have a diagnosis the better the prognosis.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian