Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Olive oil for dog constipation

Is olive oil good for...

Is olive oil good for Chuy, my dog with constipation? I have already tried giving him water.

12/12/2010
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.

I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed.

Olive oil may not help too much. If you are sure that Chuy is constipated, a little canned pumpkin or milk can help loosen things up. It is not uncommon for a dog with loose stools to posture like they have to go, but nothing comes out. Very often, owners will mistake this for constipation. If you have noticed loose stools, you may see success with a 1/2 teaspoon of Kaopectate or a 1/4 tablet of Imodium AD twice daily. This can help firm up the stools and help with the urgency (and posturing) to poop. If things are not improving, I would seek veterinary attention and bring a stool sample for a parasite screening.

I hope this helps and gives you direction.

I gave puppy a treat before feeding this morning. Little while later puppy looked lethargic and whining when put down, also when stomach is rubbed. But I have noticed a lack of appetite lately.

He does sound like he is dealing with a little abdominal pain. I would not use any of the treatments I suggested until you see the nature of the stools. If you want to soothe the GI tract (gastrointestinal tract) you can use a 1/2 teaspoon of Maalox 2-3 times daily. It may also help to maintain hydration and nutrition with a 50/50 mix of Pedialyte and water. Everything works better with a good hydration.

I hope this helps.

Sorry, I gave him little milk, I hope it won’t hurt him, will it?

Milk is fine. I meant the Imodium or Keopectate. If he really is constipated, I don't want to make it worse. If you have the Maalox, give it a try and watch the nature of the stools.

What should a dog’s normal body temperature be?

Is Maalox the same as Phillips Milk of Magnesia?

The typical body temperature is around 100-102.5. This can vary depending on the individual, stress, etc. When I see dogs with a mild gastritis or enteritis (inflamed stomach or intestines) I see very mild fever around 103.0-103.5.

MOM (Milk of Magnesia) and Maalox are close enough. So, if you have some, that can be used.

Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian