Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my puppy just started having a seizure, foaming at the mouth

Customer Question
and now can not hold...
my puppy just started having a seizure, foaming at the mouth and now can not hold her head up and going in constant circles she also has lazy eyelids. She has also vomited after drinking too much water.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dave, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

There are many possible causes for seizures in Coco's situation - toxicity, low blood glucose, liver disorder, infection, parasites, injury, to name a few.

Since low blood glucose is so common in small breed young dogs, I would rub some Karo syrup or honey on Coco's gums right away. Also, keep her in a confined area, so that she does not potentially hurt herself if she is wobbly or off balance. I would then also recommend getting her examined right away, so blood tests can be run to try and figure out whey she had the seizure. If they can pinpoint the cause, they may be able to treat Coco, in an effort to try and prevent more seizures from occurring. It would be best to have her looked at tonight if at all possible (ER clinic or on-call veterinarian). If this is not possible for you to do, then try to keep her quiet and comfortable tonight, and get her into your veterinarian in the morning.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Dave

For honey on the gums, is their instant response or how long of a response? She acts like she has a headache, wimpering in pain.

If she has a low blood glucose problem (which we don't know for sure), it can take a few minutes for things to improve. You can repeat giving the syrup or honey a few times in a short period of time. She may not improve if there is something going on other than low blood glucose.

Many dogs will vocalize (cry, whine, etc.) after a seizure. This can last for several minutes, or even longer in some dogs.

Dr. Dave

All of this came about after giving her a flea and tick bath. Could this be the culprit if she got some in her system?

Yes, it could. Certain flea/tick products are notorious for causing neurologic problems and seizures. I would recommend giving another bath with Dawn dishwashing detergent to try and wash off any residue from the flea/tick shampoo.

Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian