Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Min-Pin has an eye problem. It look a little swollen and

Hello, My Min-Pin has an eye...
My Min-Pin has an eye problem. It look a little swollen and looks a little glossy. The eye is also discharging a small amount of fluid. This is happening in one eye only.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2010
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is Izzy squinting or holding the eye shut? Does it look like there is a bluish or whitish film over the eye?
No she is not sqinting and no blue or white She does play with a Yorkie and the play preet hard swipping at one another. Is there something I can put in the eye? (over the counter)
Thanks for the information. My first thought would still be that she has an ulceration on the cornea. It could be due to your Yorkie accidentally scratching her eye during play. A foreign body in the eye or an allergic/bacterial/viral conjunctivitis are both possible as well. The safest thing to do at home is to flush it with some sterile eye saline irrigating solution and applying artificial tears into the eye, but if it is not any better by tomorrow, or if it starts getting worse today, have your vet check it out. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
I have saline and artificial tears here at home. I use them on myself. Will these be ok for IZZY?
Yeah. Those eye preparations will be least likely to cause any harm to her, especially if she has a corneal ulcer. They won't heal an ulcer, but they may help if there is something stuck in the eye or if there is an allergic conjunctivitis. If signs persist or get worse, though, your vet may need to prescribe something different. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. I just wanted to make sure before I put people stuff in her eye. Thanks again

Rodney Warford

[email protected],com

XXX-XXX-XXXX

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian