Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why would my dog suddenly want to be held all the time, then…

Customer Question
Why would my dog suddenly...
Why would my dog suddenly want to be held all the time, then go off and sit in a room all by himself.He seems restless not his normal behavior.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2010
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

How long has this change in behavior been occurring with Stoli?

Are his other habits still normal? eating?? drinking?? elimination??

Is he whimpering or acting painful at all?

Thanks and I will respond when you reply.

Everything is normal as far as eating, drinking,elimination.He is still active,but this weekend he wants to be on our laps. He will go off by himself in a room which he has never done, he just seems scared or unsettled
nothing in our home has changed.

It could be a behavioral response and something (which you may never identify) may have spooked him. On the other hand, it is possible that this is his reaction to his not feeling well as some dogs will seek out their owners when they are anxious about not feeling normally. SInce he is eating and otherwise normal, you have the advantage of being able to monitor this for a few days to see if it improves. Try to keep him busy and get him out exercising so that it takes his mind off of what is bothering him. Try to schedule "play time" at around the same time of day so he has some sort of routine to look forward to. If he is not improving or his signs become more obvious, I would at least schedule him for an exam to see if you veterinarian can identify a possible cause.

Good luck with him and please let me know if you have any further questions.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian